The first step to getting your site online and to get better rankings in Google is to submit your URL to search engines. An example of an URL is www.yoursite.com. Eventually the search engines will find your site but this will help expedite the process.
Once you submit your URL, it could take several days, weeks, or months for the search engines to index your page(s). Results may vary so don’t write this in stone. Factors such as other websites pointing to your site can affect this time as well.
Submit your URL to Google:1. Go to the following link: http://www.google.com/addurl/?continue=/addurl
2. Type in your URL, example: http://www.yoursite.com
3. Enter comments about your site. This is optional. Usually I enter the genre of the site and a few keywords. Example: Website design in Hollister, CA.
4. Enter the captcha text shown in the box
5. Select “Add URL”
Submit your URL to Bing:1. Go to the following link: http://www.bing.com/docs/submit.aspx
2. Enter the captcha text shown in the box
3. Type in your URL, example: http://www.yoursite.com
4. Select “Submit URL”
Submit your URL to Yahoo:You will need to have an account with Yahoo. If you do not have an account you can create an account for free.
1. Go to the following link: http://siteexplorer.search.yahoo.com/submit
2. Sign in using your yahoo ID and Password
3. Select “Submit a Website or Webpage”
4. Type in your URL, example: www.yoursite.com
5. Select “Submit URL”
Submit your Sitemap to Ask:Ask does not have an URL submit feature, however, you can submit your sitemap to them. Once your sitemap is completed, enter your sitemap location in the following URL and enter into your web browser.
http://submissions.ask.com/ping?sitemap=http%3A//URL of your sitemap
That’s it! Once you complete the above steps, just sit back and be patient. It takes time for the search engines to index your pages. If you submit more than once, some search engines may consider this spamming which could result in not indexing your site at all.
Do Not Use an Automated Submission ProgramUsing an automated submission program to submit to multiple search engines at once may be considered spam attempts and is frowned upon by search engines such as Google.
Also note that you do not have to add all of your URL addresses for your entire site. For example, you do not need to add http://www.yoursite.com/about.hml and http://www.yoursite.com/contact.hml. Simply enter the home page URL and let the engines do the rest.